Hampi... a tour
|How to reach Hampi|
From Bangalore, Hospet is an overnight journey by either bus or train. One can drive down to Hospet and the distance is approximately 350 kms. From Hospet the most economical and recommended way to visit Hampi would be the Karnataka State Tourism
Development Corporation bus (KSTDC). It leaves around 9.30 in the morning and will return back to Hospet by about 5.30 in the evening. The current fare is Rs.75/- per head. On the way to Hampi, the bus picks up the local guide who is pretty well versed with the historical and legendary aspects. He is not a paid employee of the KSRTC and depends on your contribution for a living. His English is reasonably good (at least the guide who accompanied spoke good English) and foreigners who speak fluent English will not find it difficult to comprehend his version of the language.
- The area to be covered in Hampi is fairly large (26 sq. kilometers) and involves a fair bit of walking on foot and climbing steep steps (though not much). One supposes that if one wants to really indulge in history and see the wealth of architectural masterpieces, these are minor inconveniences.
- Around lunchtime the Bus takes you to the Karnataka Tourism department restaurant for lunch, but it's nothing much to write home about. You haven't much choice because in Hampi there aren't any other better eating-places. Do the best with what you get.
- Ensure you have sufficient mineral water with you. All that walking and climbing could make you very thirsty especially if it's a hot day.
- If you have planned on doing quite some bit of photography, then ensure you have enough film rolls on hand. You may not find a photo studio in Hampi to buy film.
- Keep close to the group always so that you don't get lost.
|Where to Stay|
In Hospet there are number of hotels, though not very luxurious. However, Hotel Priyadarshini is highly recommended. The place is very clean, service is fast, people are courteous and it's very economical as well. It's very close to the railway station and the bus-stand and more importantly, you can book your Hampi tour tickets at the hotel. In fact, the KSTDC bus does a pick-up and drop from the hotel. If you decide to have an overnight stay at Hotel Priyadarshini, then visit their open-air restaurant for a good and sumptuous meal. The stuff is really good and after a tiring day, it can be really relaxing.
You can call them at:
(08394) 28838, 28096, 27313, 28139 or Fax them at: (08394) 24709.
Their email address is email@example.com